Monday, December 08, 2008

jack cayetano horspool

03 december 2008
9:26 pm
8 lbs 1 oz
20 inches

so, we went into the hospital wednesday morning for an induction. we arrived at about 8 am and started the induction at 10 am. things progressed slowly and sometime around noon i received some pain medication which swiftly put me to sleep.

bryan thought this was a good shot of my labor reading material... nice.

well, after a few more hours the pain increased and we called for the anesthesiologist. around 8 my water broke and shortly after we had a new family member... baby jack.


grace and raegan came with grandma kathy to the hospital on thursday. grace loved him instantly and wanted to hold him right away. i think she will be an excellent helper. raegan was interested in him for about 5 seconds. then, she hopped off the bed and started playing around the room.


well, jack sure was red when he was born and after a while the pediatrician visited and told us that jack was dat (direct antibody transfer) positive. apparently, when he was in the womb, my body recognized his blood type as different from mine and tried to attack it, resulting in a lot of red blood cells. unfortunately, this also is a cause of jaundice in babies. so, they took some blood and jack was in the mid-level risk for jaundice. because of this, we had to stay an extra day and jack spent almost 24 hours in light therapy.


prior to his light therapy, i swear, he never cried. actually, once, he cried... when he was first born... then... even when they gave him his shots... he never cried. until the light therapy. man alive, he really hated it under there. after about being in the therapy for about 12 hours, he got used to it and was happy to be there. after his therapy, they took some blood to test his bilirubin levels and he had moved to the low-risk zone. they took another test after 6 more hours and he remained in the low-risk level and we were finally able to go home! yay!


jack sure was glad to get out of that box and finally be held! and so we prepared for the trip home.


the girls and jack have adjusted well to being home and we have enjoyed being home as a family. the girls love him and are great helpers.


18 comments:

Strupp Family said...

I didn't know you spent an extra day! I'm sorry--we were even talking about his color...

I hope all is going well now. He sure is a cute kid! You guys should have like 10 more. :)

CdA News Editor said...

Congratulations on the new addition! I am glad that everything turned out okay!

Kathy said...

Man, I love your family like crazy!!! I can't wait to meet baby Jack and get a squeeze from Grace and Raeg's. I just have to wait one more week, YEAH!!!! Love you all tons and miss you tons!!!! XOXOXO, Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm glad he's home and not yellow. That is good news. Congratulations.

Eric and Alison said...

He looks so comfy next to his big sisters!! Your girls are going to be such a big help to you!
I love the labor picture of you and your twilight book!!!! You are so funny! Love ya

the man said...

Congrats you guys! He's so cute, love all that hair! looking forward to meeting him... one day.

EvaMarieva said...

He looks so much like reagan. Bryan also looks happy to have his lil buddy. I am glad it went well and wanted to let you know how great you look.

Sarah said...

i am so happy that he is here and healthy! i will try and call you sometime so we can chat! congradulations guys! we love ya!

Allie said...

Oh, is so cute! What a darling family, your little girls look so happy to be big sisters! Hope you are doing well.

Amber Horspool said...

He's adorable! I love love love his brown AND blonde hair! I hope you're recovering well. Love ya!

Shannon said...

So sweet! That stinks having to stay an extra day, but I'm glad that everything is okay now. I love the picture of him with the girls...it will be so fun for you guys to have a little boy around!

And by the way, I saw Twlight again last week. You NEED to see it again--I REALLY liked it the second time. I'm already planning a third trip with my sister at Christmas.

Congrats again to your sweet family!

Julia said...

Congrats! He's very cute and LOVE the name!

Rach said...

Yea! all done. What's with the middle name. He looks like a horspool. Little boys are great!

Rachel said...

ok that pic of grace, raegs, and jack at the hospital is ADORABLE!!! i love it!! and then that one where jack is making the cute face. so sweet!! i wish i could hold the little love bug. sure miss you guys! love you all lots!!!!! hugs and kisses to all!
ps-nice photography with the twilight shot, bryan :)

Miss Fergie said...

He is soo cute! I love how Grace is adoring him in the last picture, congrats. Hope you guys are able to get some sleep these next couple weeks, good luck!

Steve and Rebecca said...

Congratulations!! He has so much hair and is adorable. I am glad he is home and doing well after the extra attention in the hospital.

Bryan H said...

Cayetano was Jamie's grandpa's name...we thought it would be a fun middle name.

Anne said...

Jamie, that picture of you holding Jack is SO sweet. Love it.